Your wedding day is one of the most important and cherished moments of your life, and capturing the beautiful memories is crucial. Hiring a skilled wedding photographer ensures that every precious moment is preserved through stunning photographs. However, with the ever-evolving trends in the wedding industry, it’s essential to ask the right questions when selecting your photographer. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve compiled a list of essential questions to ask your wedding photographer in 2023.
- What is your photography style? Understanding your photographer’s style is crucial to ensure their artistic vision aligns with your expectations. Inquire about their approach, whether it’s traditional, documentary, fine art, or a blend of various styles. This will give you an insight into the final look and feel of your wedding album. A lot of my couples are wanting candid, less posed and that’s totally fine with me. I always make sure I understand what they want/expect in their final gallery. I have created my own style which is in between bright and airy fine art and dark and moody. I like true to colour skin tones without anyone looking washed and I don’t follow trend with editing styles because they will eventually all change. I like to keep the images looking timeless.
- Can I see a full wedding album? Reviewing a complete wedding album allows you to evaluate the photographer’s consistency in capturing moments throughout the day. It helps you gauge their ability to capture both intimate details and grand celebrations, ensuring you are confident in their skills. I will always send out galleries to you to make sure you know what a final one will look like.
- How do you handle low-light situations? Weddings often involve varying lighting conditions, including low-light environments. To ensure your photographer can handle such situations, inquire about their experience with low-light photography and their preferred equipment for capturing stunning images in challenging lighting scenarios. I am currently running on two new canon mirrorless bodies which are impeccable in low light situations and I use the same lighting that Nicole Ritchies wedding photographer used to photograph her wedding, so we are sorted!
- Will you be the actual photographer on our wedding day? Some photography studios have multiple photographers, and it’s important to know if the person you meet during the consultation will be the one capturing your wedding. Building a rapport with your actual photographer is vital to ensure a smooth and comfortable experience on your special day. I will always be your photographer unless you have chosen to book one of my associates at a lower rate.
- How do you handle unexpected circumstances? Weddings are unpredictable, and a seasoned photographer should be prepared to handle any unforeseen circumstances that may arise. Ask about their contingency plans in case of equipment failure, illness, or other emergencies to ensure your wedding memories are secure. I usually always shoot with a second photographer but in the event that I’m not and need a replacement I have a private group that I’m in for relief photographers which has never failed us.
- What is your backup plan for image storage and protection? Digital image storage and protection are vital to safeguard your cherished memories. Inquire about their backup system, how they ensure image security, and how long they store the images after delivering the final product. This will give you peace of mind knowing your photos are safe and accessible. I have two at home storage units + your images are also saved on a cloud to ensure if anything were to happen to the units there will always be a copy in “cloud-space”. I keep them for 3 + years.
- Do you offer videography services as well? If you are considering capturing your wedding day through both photographs and videos, it’s worth asking if your photographer provides videography services or can recommend a trusted professional. Coordinating both services can streamline your planning process and ensure a cohesive visual narrative of your wedding day. I team up with Pia from High Up Films for both photo & video packages.
- How long will it take to receive the final edited photos? Understanding the timeline for receiving your wedding photos is crucial for managing expectations and planning any post-wedding activities. Discuss the photographer’s editing process, delivery timeframe, and the number of edited photos you can expect to receive. I am currently running on a 4-6 week delivery time.
- Can we provide a shot list or share our specific preferences? If you have specific photo ideas or preferences, communicate them to your photographer in advance. While most experienced photographers have a keen eye for capturing essential moments, sharing your vision and priorities will help ensure that your unique requests are fulfilled. I definitely encourage mood-board sharing and we will make sure the family list is completed and ensure we are on the same page but otherwise if you trust your photographer, you really don’t need to go into a lot of detail with a list.
- What are the pricing packages and additional costs? Discussing pricing details upfront is essential to avoid any surprises later on. Inquire about the photographer’s pricing packages, including the number of hours of coverage, the number of edited photos, additional prints, albums, or any other add-ons. Clarify any potential extra costs, such as travel fees or overtime charges. When you send an inquiry I will email you back with a custom proposal which can be catered to suit your needs.
Choosing the right wedding photographer is a significant decision that directly impacts how your special day will be remembered. By asking the right questions, you can find a photographer who not only possesses the technical skills but also understands your unique vision and style. This will ensure that the memories of your wedding day are beautifully preserved and can be cherished for a lifetime.